Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_32963844

Need advice if it was possible to restore this old bathroom sink?

User
6 years ago
I have two 70's style his and her bathroom sink with gold glittery streaks in them. I was wondering what to use to restore them instead of replacing them. Thanks so much!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Try Bar Keeper’s Friend…use a nylon scrub pad. Try it on your faucets, as well.

Good luck.

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Why do you even want to keep them? They are really old, outdated and worn.
    Check craigslist, re/store etc in your area for inexpensive replacements.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    6 years ago
    You can get these professionally polished and they will look brand new...
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    But they're still shell shaped bowls... you can't sand/polish that out.

I'm redoing a condo with 4 baths and find counter tops all the time on Craigslist. Why live with something like that when you use it everyday when you can replace it with something nice and fresh and clean and bright. Plus you can find inexpensive faucets at Lowes and Home Depot or I even bought some name brands from eBay.
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    NOPE, can't be fixed. Get remnants from a fabricator and use undermount sinks.
  • lcswilcox195kw
    6 years ago
    I just replaced my old bathroom countertops. I had a countertop company make custom ones. The new ones are cultured marble with integrated sinks. They were around $100 each. Call around for estimates. It isn't worth trying to save your old ones unless you absolutely love them.
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Good for you on keeping the character of the bathroom. You can update a 70s home without killing it. I have a 1975 multi level and I also left the original sink and counter in the guest bathroom. It is very pretty. Mine doesn't have a sea shell sink. I would try a cleanser with bleach. Auto cleaner as stated above might also work. Try Tilex and let it sit for several hours. Just keep on trying. If a product ruins it, oh well you tried. When you do get it clean, I keep mine polished with auto wax. I would change out your facets with gold ones.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Using an abrasive cleanser can rub off the polish on the cultured marble, so test before using it. If you want to make the cultured marble look shiny again, use Gel Gloss or a fresh can of paste car wax. There's a Gel Gloss is designed for exactly this kind of surface. It works really, really well. Available on amazon and at big box stores. http://www.gel-gloss.com/

The other comments on cleaning the faucet hardware are right on the money. I've had good results soaking hardware in vinegar or wrapping the still-installed faucet with a terrycloth rag drenched in distilled white vinegar. Keep the cloth dripping wet for a day, occasionally scrubbing with an old toothbrush to remove crud.

• Marlena Workman
    2 years ago

I just bought a house trying to keep up with the 80's design, I dont plan on redoing much, my counters are in great shape just need cleaned. I need to replace my gold and white(maybe porcelain) faucets and toilet paper holder, can find an exact match online. Can someone lead me in the right direction.

Picture is of the toilet paper holder.

One side of a toilet paper holder, Facebook Marlena Workman, glasses and butterfly's frame my face

• Valinta
    2 years ago

Vinegar, baking soda qnd patience are my go-to for cleaning. A very soft toothbrush can help with scatching. Worked on some 50 year old sinks.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

I've actually sanded cultured marble countertops before. You lose the polish but that wears away after years of use and cleaning anyway. You apparently can have an epoxy material applied to resurface and change the look of cultured marble although I've never done or had that done. If you can have the countertop and sink replace I would suggest that for a new and refreshed look.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I replaced this sink. Thanks for the comments